As a personal prayer and study discipline, I read and reflect on the scripture reading of the day using a process of reflective Bible study called "Gospel Based Discipleship" or "African Bible Study."

"Gospel Based Discipleship" is a way of engaging the scripture by reading the text 3 times (usually in a different translation) and asking the following questions after each time it is read. Even though it's called "Gospel Based Discipleship," it doesn't mean that all the readings are from one of the Gospels. It's just a method of scripture reflection.

1. What one word, phrase, or idea stands out to you?
2. What is Jesus (or the reading) saying to you?
3. What is Jesus (or the reading) calling you to do?

I hope that this blog will enhance your own spiritual discipline as you read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest God's Holy Word.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

John 17:20-26 (NRSV)

'I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one.  As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.  Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.  'Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me.  I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.'


This is a continuation of the prayer from Thursday 2/23.  It is interesting that we skipped versus 9 through 19 of Jesus’ prayer in chapter 17 because of the commemoration of St. Matthias on 2/24, so we ended up missing some of the prayer.  Today we pick it up at verse 20.  You can read the missing part here.

‘Know’ or to ‘make known’ is the word that stands out today.  Jesus prays for his disciples to know God more closely so that they may participate in the divine relationship.

Everything is tied together and interwoven into these verses – the Father in Jesus, Jesus in the Father, their divine glory and love.  Jesus wishes this divine unity be available to the world.  He prays for his glory to be revealed to the world so that people may believe and participate in the divine relationship of love.

This goes along with my personal theology of God.  God is a God of relationship.  God is in relationship with God’s self in the Godhead; Father, Son, & Holy Spirit – And God’s people are in relationship with each other.  The gathered people of God (the Church) are in relationship with God, and the divine love of Christ is shown forth in this relationship.  In order for people to experience God’s glory in Christ, they must be brought to the knowledge of the divine love through God’s gathered people.

I feel the call today is to be with Jesus in this divine relationship.  To know Jesus as he is made known to us, participate in his Love, and then be catalysts of that love within the world - so that the world can know Christ and be reconciled to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment