As a personal prayer and study discipline, I read and reflect on the scripture reading of the day using a process of reflective Bible study called "Gospel Based Discipleship" or "African Bible Study."

"Gospel Based Discipleship" is a way of engaging the scripture by reading the text 3 times (usually in a different translation) and asking the following questions after each time it is read. Even though it's called "Gospel Based Discipleship," it doesn't mean that all the readings are from one of the Gospels. It's just a method of scripture reflection.

1. What one word, phrase, or idea stands out to you?
2. What is Jesus (or the reading) saying to you?
3. What is Jesus (or the reading) calling you to do?

I hope that this blog will enhance your own spiritual discipline as you read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest God's Holy Word.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

John 10:19-30 (NRSV)

Again the Jews were divided because of these words.  Many of them were saying, "He has a demon and is out of his mind. Why listen to him?"  Others were saying, "These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?"  At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem.  It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon.  So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense?  If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly."  Jesus answered, "I have told you, and you do not believe.  The works that I do in my Father's name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep.  My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand.  What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand.  The Father and I are one."


The word “plainly” sticks out to me like a sore thumb.  I’m not sure why.  Maybe it’s because Jesus has not only told them and told them, he has shown them, and many have testified to his great works.  However, the “Jews” still don’t believe.  (I really have a hard time with the way the writer of John uses the word Jews - please see some of my previous posts on the subject).

The Pharisees are at the point of pressuring Jesus, to the point of using the phrase, “If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”  Jesus claims to have told them and they just don’t understand because they do not yet believe.  He tells them that believers follow him and believers receive eternal life.  No one can take a true believer away from Jesus.

John is filled with more explanations to the Pharisees about who Jesus is and what he came to do.  This has gone on for a few chapters and will go on for a few more.  We have heard many calls along the way.  I feel today would be believe.  We are called to believe because it is “plain” to us that Jesus is the Lord, He is the Good Shepherd, He is God (as said in the last sentence of the passage).  We are called to believe and testify to that belief not only with our word, but with our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment