As a personal prayer and study discipline, I read and reflect on the scripture reading of the day using a process of reflective Bible study called "Gospel Based Discipleship" or "African Bible Study."

"Gospel Based Discipleship" is a way of engaging the scripture by reading the text 3 times (usually in a different translation) and asking the following questions after each time it is read. Even though it's called "Gospel Based Discipleship," it doesn't mean that all the readings are from one of the Gospels. It's just a method of scripture reflection.

1. What one word, phrase, or idea stands out to you?
2. What is Jesus (or the reading) saying to you?
3. What is Jesus (or the reading) calling you to do?

I hope that this blog will enhance your own spiritual discipline as you read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest God's Holy Word.

Friday, March 4, 2022

John 17:9-19

John 17:9-19

I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth. (NRSV)

"I sent them into the world." We have been "sent into the world" sanctified in truth by Jesus. As his prayer continues today, I can't help but think about the mission he was on and how he invites us to participate in his mission. He prays for protection as we navigate the horror of this life. 

This near the end of the longest prayer that Jesus offers and one can't help but notice the angst in his tone. Not that he hasn't prepared his followers, but that he loves them and doesn't want harm to come to them. As a parent this evokes feelings of concern that I have for my children. I want them to be successful in what they set out to do. I hope and trust that I taught them the difference between right and wrong and how to make good decisions. Like Jesus, feel that I have but there is that lingering worry that hangs over us rooted in love for the ones entrusted to us.

Our joy is in knowing that we have a loving God who like a parent has tended us with care and nurtures us to continue on our life of love. It's the truth with which we are sanctified. Our response is to follow in the way of Jesus and go into the world and care for others like we are taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment