As a personal prayer and study discipline, I read and reflect on the scripture reading of the day using a process of reflective Bible study called "Gospel Based Discipleship" or "African Bible Study."

"Gospel Based Discipleship" is a way of engaging the scripture by reading the text 3 times (usually in a different translation) and asking the following questions after each time it is read. Even though it's called "Gospel Based Discipleship," it doesn't mean that all the readings are from one of the Gospels. It's just a method of scripture reflection.

1. What one word, phrase, or idea stands out to you?
2. What is Jesus (or the reading) saying to you?
3. What is Jesus (or the reading) calling you to do?

I hope that this blog will enhance your own spiritual discipline as you read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest God's Holy Word.

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Last Thursday After the Epiphany 2021

 John 1:29-34 (NRSV)

The next day [John] saw Jesus coming towards him and declared, ‘Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, “After I come to a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.” I did not know him, but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel.’ And John testified, ‘I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, “He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.” And I have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.’


When I think of John the Baptizer, I think of one who thrives on being the second chair. Anyone who has ever played an instrument in a band or orchestra can understand what I mean by the term "second chair." You know, the one who is pretty great in his own right but enjoys giving the credit to others. The one that isn't the lead but has distinct merit and purpose.

In this passage, John is telling those gathered that he is not the messiah. After seeing Jesus from a distance, he declares Jesus to be the "Lamb of God." This was the day after the miraculous baptism scene, where John saw the heavens opened and a dove descending on Jesus. 

Like the painting above by Annibale Carracci (ca. 1600), most of the artistic images depict John pointing to Jesus. Some works have him pointing directly to Jesus; others have him pointing up, but always pointing. We learn from scripture that John is doing his job by "pointing to the Christ." John always points to Jesus with everything he is, proclaiming Jesus to be the anointed one of God, the one who "baptizes with the Holy Spirit." 

Being the second chair to Jesus is John's purpose. Being the second chair to Jesus is our purpose as we always try to point to Jesus and God with our lives and actions. The question for us during the season of Lent becomes, "how might we point the way to God for others more fully?"

No comments:

Post a Comment