As a personal prayer and study discipline, I read and reflect on the scripture reading of the day using a process of reflective Bible study called "Gospel Based Discipleship" or "African Bible Study."

"Gospel Based Discipleship" is a way of engaging the scripture by reading the text 3 times (usually in a different translation) and asking the following questions after each time it is read. Even though it's called "Gospel Based Discipleship," it doesn't mean that all the readings are from one of the Gospels. It's just a method of scripture reflection.

1. What one word, phrase, or idea stands out to you?
2. What is Jesus (or the reading) saying to you?
3. What is Jesus (or the reading) calling you to do?

I hope that this blog will enhance your own spiritual discipline as you read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest God's Holy Word.

Friday, April 6, 2012

John 13:36-38 (NRSV)

Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, where are you going?" Jesus answered, "Where I am going, you cannot follow me now; but you will follow afterward."  Peter said to him, "Lord, why can I not follow you now?   I will lay down my life for you."  Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for me?  Very truly, I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied me three times.


“I will lay down my life for you,” says Simon Peter.  Peter is an honest and good disciple.  He is genuine in his promise to stand by Jesus through thick and thin.  However, Jesus knows that even Peter will waiver when faced with extreme adversity.

Today is Good Friday, and our Gospel lesson from John is short.  Our focus today is on the cross and the crucifixion of our Lord.  In that context, this Gospel reading means to me that even the most devout will be challenged.  Jesus tells Peter that even though he will not be able to follow now, he will follow afterward.  Peter promises to stand by Jesus and lay down his life.  However, we know that Peter denied Jesus as Jesus predicted.  Peter denies Jesus three times.

The call that I hear today is not worry, but stand firm as we can in our path as we follow Christ.  God understands how tough it is.  Peter was bold in his faith, and was a straight shooter, always proclaiming Christ, spreading the Good News of God’s salvation.  However, when faced with adversity, Peter buckles under the pressure and denies Jesus.  What makes us think that we could do any better than Peter?  We could only hope that we would have an ounce of the faith that Peter had, and be willing to proclaim Christ when we are faced with challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment